Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Madison's First Haircut

Yesterday Madimoo went for a shampoo, cut, and blowdry.  Her very first.  And received a certificate, a picture, and a lock of her hair tied with a ribbon for her scrap book.  Her Mom and Dad created a video of the event. 

She is a girly girl.  Loves dresses, and shoes, manicures and pedicures, and all things bright and shiny, just like her Gammie.  And so last night as I watched her eat popcorn shrimp and drink sweet tea, I thought of all the wonderful "firsts" that come and go in our lives, and what a lifetime of adventures lie ahead for little Miss Madison.  That is the special part of being a grandma, witnessing all the firsts again, through older, and wiser, eyes. 

I remember all my sons' first haircuts.  Unfortunately, I did not bring a camera, nor did I keep a lock of their hair.  Wish I had though. 

I waited until they turned two, when their hair brushed their shoulders.  Dylan had wavy, brown hair, that curled up softly in the back.  His first haircut was at the Hair Cuttery, just like Madison.  Only Dylan had his cut at the very first Haircuttery that opened in West Springfield, Virginia when I was a teenager, before I was thinking about boys and babies and things like that. 

Heath had straight hair, with lots of natural and varied highlights -- lighter brown, with red and gold highlights.  His grandmother got a hold of him before I could take him myself.  He got his first hair cut while he was sitting in his favorite red and yellow Big Wheels on the carport on a nice sunny day. 

Eddie had dark brown hair and looked like Mowgli from Jungle Book and got his first hair cut at Springfield Mall at Kids Cuts, while he watched cartoons and sucked on a lollipop.  But then when the lady turned on the electric clippers, he screamed and ran out of the chair and through the mall with the plastic cape flying and the sticky lollipop landing on a passerby's pant leg.   Embarassing much?

Seeing Maddimoo with her new haircut brought back memories that are kept in that precious part of my heart.  It was nice to bring them out and cherish them for a bit. 

1 comment:

Christina said...

Awwww Heather! That is precious. At least you have the memories even though you don't have the photos/videos. And now you have documentation for Madison's haircut! Thank you for that advice. I will remember to take pics of Charlie's first cut! I can't believe he is so big already.. I'm starting to see that time does really fly by! It makes me want to cry!