Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Jury Duty

I was on call today for jury today, but it was cancelled.  I am one of those people who do not like jury duty.  I served on a jury once before, and I was uncomfortable with the entire process.  I do not like being responsible for a person's fate.  Unless there is video coverage and the image is very clear, or there are at least some witnesses, it is hard for me to watch someone break down after hearing that they are going to prison.

I'm also one of those who unrealistically believe love can cure all.  I think most of the people on the stand are victims of their circumstance -- how they were raised -- the abuse they may have suffered, the poverty they may have struggled with.  I think of the movie "Trading Places," and realize most folks turn out completely different if they're given different circumstances.  I do realize there are some criminally insane people out there, and I agree they need to be off the street.  But I'm not talking about those people. 

So, now you understand why I was pretty glad when I called the court number and heard the message that the case was cancelled. 

Now, on to food.

Hanging in there.  No weight loss this morning.  But I'm plugging on.  Two pancakes and water for breakfast.  Chicken, vegetables, and sweet potato for lunch.  Cereal and bagel for dinner.

Ran some errands last night, did some laundry and kept moving until 7:30 pm.  That's pretty good for me considering bedtime is at 9:30.
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

Jean said...

well congrats on not hanging to go for Jury Duty today. Hopefully it will be cancelled the whole time that you can be called. I feel the same way about Jury Duty, luckily the girls are still young enough that i can get out of it for now.